I spotted this packet in the free from aisle of my local Tesco along with a new pancake mix as well. The packaging caught my eye – well the dough balls on it if I’m honest. It’s been years since I’ve had anything like the ones I can vaguely remember from the likes of Pizza Express and at £1.20 I thought it was good value so why not?
I should add the mix can be used to make either pizza bases or dough balls. The method of making either is the same. It’s so easy as well, even the most kitchen shy could make these.
- Tip the contents of the packet into your mixer (or bowl)
- I added a crushed garlic clove and finely grated cheese
- Add 100mls of warm water and 1tbs of olive oil
- Mix until a dough is formed. For the pizza , once shaped the dough needs to prose for 30 minutes.
- Shape into a base or dough balls, the packet said 8 although I made 6.
- Cook in a preheated oven at 200C / 180 C fan for 30 minutes of until golden brown. I admit in this try they are very golden, next time I will check after 25 minutes
So how are they? They were lively and crispy on the outside with a warm, soft bread in the centre, and in my opinion much better than the pre made frozen ones that Tesco sell. On my next attempt I am going to try putting mozzarella in the centre for a cheesy dough ball, and I’m yet to try as a pizza base, but for the price and texture/ taste I will be buying this again. Oh and I nearly forgot its both gluten and dairy free to.
Have you tried this or the pancake mix yet? Let me know your thoughts in the comments box.