Well it’s been a good week I’ve been trying with the cleaner eating, lower sugar idea and it seems to be working (yippee) operation wedding dress is encouraged. So this got me thinking, I love my overnight oats,coconut yoghurt and smoothie bowls so a bit of crunch on top wouldn’t go a miss. Granola was the end of the thought process, but not the sugar laden, gluten loaded shop brought variety. I made some, and it’s easy.
The beauty of this recipe is that is so adaptable, this today is gluten and nut free so mini me can have some, but you can add what takes your fancy. The basic make up is the same, but don’t worry about being exact on measurements it’s not that kind of recipe.
- 2 cups of rolled oats ( not quick cook) I used gluten free
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 2 tbs of maple syrup
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 cup of raisins (or mixed fruit or goji berries)
- Optional 1/2 cup of nuts or seeds pecan or pumpkin seeds work well.
- Heat the oven to 150 degrees c. Line a baking tray with non stick paper
- In a pan melt the coconut oil, honey and maple syrup until all combined.
- In a bowl mix your oats, fruit and seeds/nuts.
- If you are using nuts you may prefer to pulse them in a processor first if you like smaller pieces.
- Pour in the liquid and mix until all the oats are covered.
- Spread in a thin layer on your baking tray and cook for about 10 minutes, until the oats are golden and crunchy
- I speak from experience do not leave for too long, your granola will taste like burnt popcorn (even my chickens wouldn’t eat it).
- Leave to cool and store in an airtight container.
- It’s good for upto 2 weeks- if it lasts that long.