Yes you all read that right chocolate porridge. So we can’t have Nutella in this house and coco pops (in my opinion are horrid and not suitable for for coeliacs) so it got me thinking, what do I make for that odd occasion I fancy a chocolate themed breakfast- chocolate porridge is the answer.
It’s rich, creamy, and can be adapted to suit a variety of diets. gluten free? Use gluten free oats. dairy free? Use a plant based milk the list goes on. I find it perfect for wen you need a chocolate fix, the other bonus is its low GI and keeps you full until lunch.
- 40g porridge oats (I used gluten free)
- 150 ml milk of your choice
- 1 tsp cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 1/2 tbs of sweetener of choice ( I used agave)
- Toppings of cocao nibs, fruit, coconut whatever flavours you prefer.
- Put the oats and milk In a pan and heat gently
- When the mixture starts to thicken add the sweetener and cocoa powder and stir in well.
- I should add cacao powder can be very bitter in taste, to counter balance this you can mash half a banana up and mix into you porridge ( I’d add a squirt of agave as well)
- Serve and top with your favoured toppings- today for me it was banana.
I hope you enjoy it, it’s just another idea for you to mix up your breakfasts in honour of National Breakfast Week.