The truth is ( and I confess) I like a bargin, Waitrose had huge bags of kale for £1 so I bought one. Now kale is great in smoothies (operation wedding dress is thankful) but there are only so many green smoothies you can have. My inspiration came from this kale and incorporating it into a healthy, tasty meal.
I thought of a curry, off the shelf are usually bland and carry the dreaded “may contain nuts ” warning, I know I know don’t get me started. So here is my take on a healthy gluten, nut, dairy, vegan (I think) paleo-ish dish.
- 1 tbs coconut oil (or other oil you prefer)
- 1 onion chopped
- Thumb size piece of ginger
- 2tbs tomato purée
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 200g kale
- 250 ml coconut milk
- Half veg stock cube.
- 1 can of chick peas drained (400g)
- 1 tbs mango chutney or fresh mango
- 3 tbs Greek style yogurt or Coyo yogurt
- In a deep bottom pan ( I used my wok) heat the oil and fry the onions for 5 minutes until they soften
- Grate in the ginger.
- Add the spices and fry until you get a fragrant aroma
- Stir in the tomato purée
- Add the kale, chick peas, coconut milk and stock cube and bring to the boil.
- Simmer until the kale is well wilted (covering the pan will help)
- Turn the heat down and once simmering has subsided stir in the mango and yogurt.
- Do not boil again once yogurt has been added.
- Serve with rice, or as a side dish to accompany your main curry dishes.