Now I know there’s a fair few Bircher breakfast recipes out there, and overnight oats are a bit of a buzz word, but bear with me this can give you a few more precious minutes in a morning (bonus), they are healthy and can also be adapted to be vegan, dairy free, gluten free, paleo and nut free so win win all round. The best thing is there’s no cooking involved, it’s super easy and tastes delicious.
- 40 g rolled oats- don’t use quick oats it doesn’t work. Jumbo rolled oats work best, but it makes no difference if they are gluten free or not, it’s whichever suits your diet.
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- 125ml milk of your choice I use coconut but any works. If you omit the chia seeds use less liquid (100ml)
- Sweetner of choice this can be Apple juice( 4-5tbs) Agave nectar, honey, maple syrup (1-2tbs or a to suit your own taste)
- Fruit of your choice
- Yogurt of your choice
- Place the oats, seeds, milk, and sweetener in a bowl or jar, mix, cover and leave for at least 2 hours but overnight works best ( hence the name)
- The oats absorb the liquid, the seeds make them lovely and creamy and are so so good for you.
- Put a layer of fruit on top
- Put a layer of yogurt I used Coyo
- Top with your favourite fruit again.
- Have as a breakfast to go or with your well earned morning coffee.