It’s cold outside, I’m sad we don’t have any snow and the dog has chewed my welly boot (she’s off the Christmas list) so I thought something warm and hearty would be perfect to dinner, then I thought that my followers may want a recipe to warm their cockles as well- so here goes.
I know it’s easy yo open a jar of sauce, but really this is easy to and much more tasty, the added bonus is that I’m yet to meet a child who doesn’t like pasta. The pasta I used here is by Doves Farm. They have a nut free policy, so this dish is perfect for nut allergy sufferers as well.
- 75g of dried pasta per person
- 1 onion chopped
- 150 g Gammon ham or pancetta diced into cubes
- 40 g grated Parmesan plus extra to serve.
- Generous 2 handfuls of frozen peas
- 100 ml of cream (or dairy alternative)
- 1 egg plus one extra yolk
- Beat the eggs, and mix with the Parmesan and cream. season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- In a frying pan, gently cook the onion and then add your meat. Cook until the meat gets some colour and starts to go crispy.
- In another pan cook your pasta ( this gluten free variety takes about 9-10 minutes)
- I like to add a little of the starchy pasta to the onion/ bacon mixture it helps create a glossy sauce.
- Add your peas to start to warm through.
- Once the pasta is cooked drain, put back in the pan and combine with the frying pan ingredients.
- Add the egg/cheese mixture ( the heat from the pain will gently cook the egg).
- I save some extra pasta water and add a couple more spoonfuls to give the carbonara a lovely glossy texture.
- Serve with extra Parmesan on top.
Please note you don’t have to add peas, I just use it as a way to get veg into my mini diva on a fussy day.