Well happy Halloween folks, it’s that time of the year where you think of pumpkins, and fireworks and apple bobbing, which inspired this next recipe. I have a glut of apples, and everyone likes toffee sauce right?? These cupcakes work well as a tasty treat or equally warmed with custard as a perfect autumn pudding.
2 eating apples (1 cored and grated, 1 sliced)
250g gluten free plain flour
2tsp baking powder
1tsp ground cinnamon
70g light muscavado sugar
50g butter melted
100 ml apple juice
100ml milk of your choice
1 egg beaten.
2 generous tbsp double cream
40g light muscavado sugar
15g butter ( unsalted works best unless you want a salted toffee sauce)
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon together in a bowl, then stir in the grated apple.
- Mix the milk, beaten egg, apple juice and melted butter together
- Add wet to dry ingredients- it’s a sticky wet mixture so don’t worry
- Spoon this into muffin cases and place 2 slices of apple on the top.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes at 180C
- They are ready when rise, and golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack.
For the sauce place all ingredients in a pan and heat until the sugar has dissolved. Increase heat and boil for 2 minutes. Cool slightly and drizzle over the cakes.
Enjoy your efforts as a reward for pumpkin carving, serviving half term and going trick or treating.