Vegetables in a cake?? I hear you cry, well before you shudder in horror bear with me, you will be amazed at the end results. The beetroot produces a wonderfully moist rich textured cake, that is also great served warm with cream or custard as a pudding.
- 50g cocoa powder
- 175g plain flour, I used Doves Farm gluten free.
- 1½tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 200g caster sugar
- 250g cooked beetroot
- 3 medium eggs
- 200ml sunflower oil
- 100g dark chocolate, finely chopped I used kinnerton which is nut free.
- Pre heat your oven to 180 c
- Place the cooked beetroot and oil in a blender and blend until fairly smooth, slowly add the eggs one at a time and blend.
- Add the sugar and mix
- I combine all the dry ingredients in another bowl, then make a well in the middle and pour in the wet ingredients.
- Mix together and fold in the chocolate
- Pour into a lined 8inch cake tin, you can use a loaf tin as well.
- Bake for roughly 45 minutes or until a inserted skewer comes out clean.
I hope you enjoy this cake, if you have tried any other veg based cakes them let me know in the comments.